We Create Tools to Better Understand the Idea & Process behind Forming Housing Cooperatives
We believe housing co-ops have the power to address serious housing issues we're facing as a culture. But the co-op movement needs a contemporary nudge. A design touch? A hip angle? We are proposing a more proactive, design-focused campaign that embraces other relevant sectors - including affordable housing, community & economic development, policy, real estate, and technology. It needs a marketing strategy and tools to make it easier for people to start exploring.
We hope some of the these tools will help you in exploring housing co-ops!
Throughout our journey, we've learned some tips and tricks. We wanted to share these with everyone through two free guides. We hope they're helpful.
Cooperative housing is an affordable housing option that is not well-known and shrouded in myths. In fact, it is a model that allows you to own/invest in more than a home.
- Have as much privacy as a typical apartment/condo unit.
- Own property when you don't qualify for traditional financing.
- Live in a unit without neighbors that bug you.
- Own property with a close-knit group of friends rather than a condo association.
- Customize your unit without worrying about a landlord.
Group Compatability Tool
Fireplace is a tool we're developing to help groups of people evaluate their own group of people. It makes the daunting process of involving others easier by understanding important information about each other from the beginning. Sign up for updates or become a beta tester!
A vision board is a good starting point to get your unique vision out of your head and onto paper. This is useful to show potential co-op members to immediately see which values/goals are shared. If you need help, this is a service we offer!
Other Efforts to Reframe
- More and more visual diagrams to illustrate the process, making it easier to understand.
- Maintaining a facebook group that curates related articles/events and allows people to connect.
- Providing custom design services for co-op units, using a competitive bid process to lower costs.
- Refreshing the design for the Cooperative Communities of Chicago website with a user-centered focus.